Tuesday, November 27, 2007

"Jesus is the reason this season": A quote from the poster at St Joseph Church, Victioria Street

To many non-Christians, Christmas is all about Christmas tress, festive food, buying and receiving presents and sometimes even a waste of money and time. They do not know what the real purpose of Christmas is and they probably don't want to, as it is, after all, a religious celebration that some do not feel like indulging in.

For Catholics*, the Christmas period is a time of giving and a time of waiting. Waiting for the coming of Jesus (His birth in the past, and His second coming in the future). It is also the start of the new liturgical year (the church calendar).

This year especially, Christmas has a much deeper meaning for me. Even though I have been a Catholic for about 7 years now, I still was very blur about the celebrations...until now. Non-believers are not wrong in saying that this festival is more for religious purposes, for again, it is time for us Catholics and Christians alike, to reflect upon ourselves, how religious we have been and how religiously we want to go in the future.

No, I have no right to judge anyone here. Everyone has their own way of reflecting. For me, I chose to reflect (a bit) here, in my own blog.

Christmas to me then, is not so much about how many presents you can give or how big your presents can be but more of what you can give from your heart. The time you can spend with your loved ones, or the little donations that you give, be it the slavation army or to the charitable organisations in your church. Those can be more meaningful.

Think too, before you buy that present, whether you will be creating more junk for your friends and contributing to global warming (waste) and whenever possible, minimise on packaging :P

* All that I am talking about is purely my own opinion and is said in the capacity of an ordinary catholic. This is so as it is an area that I am most familiar with. I did not intend to offend anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment