Monday, September 14, 2009

Watching Getai

I used to think that going to getais (those temporary stages put up to allow the ghosts and humans to enjoy) were tacky. There will be singers singing ah lien songs, wearing ah lien clothes and patronised by lots of old ah bengs.

I am not sure whether it is an age thing or whether my perception has totally changed but I was actually looking forward to going to a getai and to embrace whatever that comes with it. It has finally dawned on me that it is something that is quite unique to these parts of the world.

I came home to echo-y loud music and walked towards that all too familiar stage with live singers belting out oldies and old Japanese style sort of songs. It was as if I was mesmerised. There was a lot of talking before the singing and when the singer did sing, it was obvious that age had caught up with her and her voice was not as loud and clear. I went up stairs to put my stuff down and was met with Dad.

Both of us came down again and watched the last hour of the live show before retiring back to our humble abode. There was an ang-moh sitting down to watch the show as well.

Before, I used to get creeped out by the fact that the front few rows of chairs were always left empty for the ghosts. Now though, I guess it is part of our culture and I just accept it.

Tacky as it may all seem to be, I quite enjoyed the whole experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment