Tuesday, June 21, 2011

The lengths we go through

One of my friend will be holding her wedding reception this coming weekend. One of my ex-colleagues ever said that "it shows how important the friend is to the person by seeing what lengths they go through to prepare for it."

Not that I do not see other weddings as important. I think all of them are and I put equally the same amount of effort in preparation for them. This time though, there would be no make-up artist/ hairstylist but still lots have gone into preparing in any case.

I have gone for a proper hair cut and colour Vs my $10 haircut cum home colouring. I am also sussing out a place to do my nails. Going to do french manicure for the first time in my life. I have sort of grown my nails for it. no actually it is because now that I have quit my previous job, I no longer need to be mindful of having short nails all the time. For now, that is.

I thought I had everything ready: the dress, the shoes, the hair, the nails. I have even been practising and trying out different make-up like the colour of eye-shadows, etc. No problem, right? Wrong.

The dress that looked so befitting and elegant for the occasion was unfit for wearing. I grew more meat on my back and could not zip up for the life of me. Mum told me to go get a nice dress for myself. There are very affordable and yet pretty ones on the market nowadays. Woah! My Mum, my fashion consultant. Ha!

Therefore I happily went out to buy myself one thinking it was the most perfect dress for the occasion. I was sooooo wrong. When Mum saw it, she practically yelled her head off and told me that I had bad taste. She did not stop until I went inside my room. Dad was kinder. He said it looked like uniform and stopped at that. Both were not impressed with my buy. Mum even questioned on why I always bought the same colour and yet looked like nurses' uniforms.

Well, part of the reason is because it IS from the same shop! As for the colour, I guess I just like the teal colour which kinda reminds me of the peacocks. Plus this one's texture was satin, a material I thought very appropriate for the occasion.

I was so upset with Mum that I lost sleep over it. Terrible as I do not want dark eye circles on that day. I am known to be stubborn and adamant about my decisions but I guess, I have always wanted to win the approval of my Mum, which is why I was so upset.

In the end, I decided on several things: Ask Mum to accompany me to buy the dress; exchange the dress for another one that I did try the day before; keep the dress and buy another one.

In the end, Mum met me at Bugis and several shops later, we managed to get one. What can I say? Mum knows best? Well, I guess it is also the secret thrill of having her spend some Mother-daughter time with me. As for the teal coloured dress? It is still sitting at home. I have seven, no six days to decide whether I want to exchange or not.

I really love weddings, special occasions and such. I love dressing up for such occasions even more! Hopefully I will look presentable this weekend!

p/s: The first dress I bought had a French name that has a literal meaning of "life in shades of pink". I happen to like most of the stuff that they sell there. Although having a French name, the clothing are all from Japan.

No comments:

Post a Comment