Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Today in court

Today, no yesterday, I went to court. It was my first time and hopefully last time that I was in one. I was a bundle of nerves. First, I was not sure where the Family court was and then I was so intimidated by all those lawyers in white shirts and black jackets that I literally froze up.

It should have been an easy thing, just like my lawyer assured me. Somehow though, I just got all nervous. Maybe it is because I was worried that I would not know how to 'swear' in front of the judge. Or that something might just go wrong somehow.

It should also be easy since I was not the first one to go. There was supposed to be one other guy before me. Turns out there were two persons before me instead. Nevertheless, I was thankful in that I could 'observe' some more.

The funniest thing happened during the time when I was swearing to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. While holding up my right hand, I had to touch the Bible with my left. Some funny energy surged through me through my left hand (could just be my imagination).

That energy transformed into a whole plethora of emotions. While my lawyer was asking all the questions that she had briefed me before, my whole marriage life seemed to flash before me. I was choking up, but I controlled myself.

My slot in court was 2.30pm but the Judge was late and there were two before me. I still managed to get out of court by about 2.50pm. As I walked down the stairs out of the Family Court, I was just flooded with emotion and relief. I had to tell myself that life is going to be better. I had to brush away the stray tear or two.

It is so strange, since I am supposed to be detached from it all. I should have left all that emotional crap when I walked out that door about 4 years ago. I should be void of all emotions regarding this matter by now, but yet, I am only human I suppose.

This is only interim judgement or some such stuff like that. I still have to wait for 3 months before final judgement is made.

No comments:

Post a Comment