Sunday, December 12, 2010

Being supportive (altnernative title: Doubts)

Last night, one of my good friends finally tied the knot. Actually, she and hubby had already registered for marriage some years back, but in the traditional Chinese eyes, one is not really married until they have had a banquet. This is usually a Chinese dinner at a restaurant or hotel ballroom.


As usual, the question about jobs turned up and I started talking to another close friend (let's name her K) about it. I was telling her how my Dad had sold the car and stuff like that simply because he feels that it is too much for him to upkeep. She then said that I could have taken over the payment of the car installments and I told her that with my current salary, I can hardly pay for myself.

I really do think that my professional is really hard to sustain as one would need like 200% of passion in order to continue. I think I still have it but it is just discouraging when my own Dad does not even feel supportive of what I do. Now, can I blame the government, the market out there or myself for choosing this profession? I suppose it is everything rolled into one.

It is a little of the government's 'fault' for taking so long to up the status of my present profession and it is a case of  "too little, too late".  It is the local market's fault as my profession did not need degree holders to do the job before (they still don't but they make the diploma real tough that one would have thought one was taking a PhD). It is also my fault for feeling so comfortable where I am working now that I do not feel like stepping out to look for the same job but with higher paying bosses.

Then of course, K said something that also discouraged me a little: She said that "I don't know, I think it is important to have a good-paying job".

Well, I suppose from her point of view it is true for what she goes for is quite different to what I go for, plus she does have a family to support.

I would very much like to say that I totally love my pay and my job and that I do not have any doubts about changing professions but that would be very fake of me. I do have my doubts and worries as my parents ARE getting older and I must have more savings. What I can say now though, is that I still have got enough passion to continue with my profession but I am not eliminating the possibility of changing professions in the near future.

Yes, I know, my market value, be it as a life partner or in the workforce, has now de-valued with age, but I think one thing that my present profession has taught me is to be contented with many things and not ask for too much :) That means, I am not in panic mode yet. Haha!

No comments:

Post a Comment